Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pre trip-Day 1

For those of you who have been following my blog as a book blog, I also (about once a year) use it as a travel blog. Welcome to Day 1 of what I have affectionately dubbed Operation UK.....and what an operation it has been! Sadly Air Canada (the company my friend and I are flying)has been on strike since mindnight last night. This has left me with a great deal of angst and probably several extra gray hairs I didn't need. Thankfully from the news today it seemed like despite the strike things have run relatively smoothly. People are checking in early and using the self check in tools so we are hopeful that we will be travelling tomorrow.We may have slight delays in Toronto where the accumulation of many small delays has left flights running slightly behind but it looks like we will eventually make it. Woo!

We arrived at the hotel and were placed next to a hotel room with red tape strung across the walkway that said "danger do not enter". For some reason we thought it might have had bed bugs which made us scramble around our room ripping the bedding off our beds to check our room. Looks good so far , but both Lynette and I are paranoid and itchy! When I travel I rate hotels according to how ugly their comforters are. These ones are hideous!!


On the plus side there was a sweet little rubber duck in the bathroom when we arrived. I was very excited when I saw it and screetched at the top of my lungs, "DUCK!!!". This led to a perfect photo opportunity with my newest travelling companion, a wee little gnome.


After debating for about half an hour what we wanted to do we finally chose to walk next door to the IHOP (International House of Pancakes) restraunt. Neither Lynette and I had ever been to one. I ordered a crepe meal which came with bacon (a must for me in breakfast meals....heck actually a must most times of day!) and scrambled eggs. We both agreed that we would go again. Our waitress was so great we both tipped her $5!


Tomorrow we brave the airport and the Air Canada picket line which I am NOT happy to be crossing. :( I may soon be on strike myself and it just feels wrong. But sadly, I have been planning this trip forever and not willing to give it up. This will be my first transatlantic trip. Make sure to check in tomorrow night when I will blog about the flight and our ever so brief stay in Glasgow!

No comments: